Monday, October 31, 2011

Meatless Mondays

As I mentioned in my 10 things about me post, I try to stay away from eating meat.  Most days I succeed, but there is a day or two every month or so when I either can't avoid it or I can't resist it.  I realize that cutting meat out of your diet completely just isn't an option for some people, but did you know that cutting meat out of your diet just once a week can help prevent diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes?  It also lowers your carbon footprint, minimizes water usage, and helps reduce fossil fuel dependency.  In addition to being healthy and green, by eliminating meat just once a week you can save almost 15 animals from being slaughtered each year.


There is a movement you may have heard of called Meatless Monday.  This movement aims to encourage people to have a meat free diet every Monday.  That means no bacon or sausage for breakfast, no turkey sandwich for lunch, and no steak for dinner.  


I thought very hard about making the decision to become a vegetarian.  I'm one of the pickiest eaters I know and was sure I would starve to death if I couldn't eat meat.  But after doing some research, I decided that I couldn't continue to eat meat with a clear conscience.  One of the hardest problems I have faced is finding good substitutes for my favorite meat dishes.  In keeping up with new ideas for blog entries, it is going to be my goal to provide you with at least one easy vegetarian recipe that will taste just as good as (or better!) than a meat recipe.  


My first "Meatless Monday" recipe is...........Chick(pea)en Salad and Pumpkin Pie Pudding


By far my most difficult meal of the day is lunch.  I'm usually at school or at work during lunch time and eating a healthy vegetarian fast food meal is not always an option.  Chicken salad sandwiches were always one of my favorite lunches PV (pre-vegetarian) so I was elated when I found a recipe for vegetarian chicken salad using garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in place of chicken.  I've had this recipe in the back of my mind for a while, but just finally had all of the ingredients to make it.  



"Chicken" Salad
  • 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas (3 cups), drained and rinsed
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4-1/3 cup mayo, miracle whip, or veganaise
  • 1 heaping tablespoon dill relish
  • 1 heaping tablespoon dijon mustard
  • freshly cracked black pepper
                                          (i didn't have any onion...oops!)


First, you'll want to put your beans in a large bowl then lightly mash.
(i made 1/4 of what the recipe called for since i'm the only one eating it)

After that, add in the celery and onion and mix.

Last, add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and mix again.  Salt and Pepper to taste.

I put mine on a toasted bagel thin with some laughing cow light swiss and ate it with wheat thins and a salad...delicious!


Pumpkin Pie Pudding
I got this recipe from a fellow Weight Watcher and it is so good I couldn't wait to share!  It's a great, low calorie dessert for these cool fall days and i'm thinking about trying to tweak it into dish for Thanksgiving.

  • 1 large box of sugar-free vanilla instant pudding
  • 1/3 cup of pumpkin
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Make the pudding as directed, add pumpkin and stir until well mixed.  Add pumpkin pie spice to taste.

I ate mine with a few teddy grahams :)




If you want to get more info on how to participate in Meatless Mondays, visit www.meatlessmonday.com .
If you're thinking of making a bigger commitment, check out PETA's website--they have a lot of good information and can also send you a vegetarian starter kit.

Are there any of your favorite meals you'd like to see a meatless version of?

No comments:

Post a Comment