Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Beginning the Bourbon Trail





This past weekend Adam and I met his parents in Loretto, KY for a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery.  We got to tour the grounds and see where the mash was made, where it was distilled, and where the barrels were kept.  We also got to have a tasting of the original Maker's as well as the new Maker's 34.  The tour was a lot of fun, the weather was perfect, and it was nice to catch up with the family doing something we all enjoyed!  I also got some great photos on my new iPhone, which i'll share below :)


For those of you not familiar with the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, it's a tour of six bourbon distilleries: Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Heaven Hill, Wild Turkey, Four Roses, and Jim Beam all located here in the Bluegrass State.  When you visit your first distillery, you get a "Bourbon Passport" and will have it stamped at each location.  Once you have been to all six distilleries you mail your passport in and will receive an official Bourbon Trail t-shirt and you'll also get your passport back.  It's something Adam and I have been wanting to begin for a while so I'm glad we finally got started and can't wait to visit our next one, which will probably be Heaven Hill.




My Passport!

The grounds we're gorgeous with all the fall colors!

This sign was on the door at a little cafe that was part of the grounds...we had some amazing bourbon balls there while we waited on the in-laws to arrive

Adam and I with some of the barrels 

Us with Adam's Parents

Barrels where the bourbon is stored and aged

Where the still is housed

Copper Stills


Lastly, as I mentioned in my last post, I would really like to post something new at least 3 times a week, but as it turns out either i'm not very creative or my life is really boring (lol).  I'm working on some new idea's to get some more consistent posts up so just bear with me as I learn how to blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment